Main activities of the Program:
The Envi-Kids Program in the Fiscal Year 2009:
- Preparing and updating an environmental care handbook, and program documents such as “Articles with helping to solve the problem of global warming”.
- Preparing training materials and guidance on the practices of advisory teachers.
- Public relation and selection of schools and communities to participate in the program.
- Organizing the event of the cooperation signing between MASCI, the schools and the communities.
- Training the trainers, the advisory teachers and the students on PDCA cycle and the use of environmental care handbook in order to use in saving electricity, water, and reducing solid waste.
- Assigning the students to apply the cycle "planning, implementing, review and corrective actions” by using "the environmental care handbook" into the saving of electricity and water and the reducing solid waste in households and communities.
- Inspecting "the environmental care handbook" and evaluate the results of activities of the students by MASCI’s Auditors.
- Making decisions on the students’ activities results of saving electricity and water and reducing solid waste in households and communities in order to give MASCI’s scholarships for best and good practices.
- Organizing an awards ceremony for the schools, school managements, the advisory teachers and the students, as well as providing scholarships to the students who have best and good practices together with school exhibitions to share knowledge on how to save electricity and water consumptions and reduce solid waste.
- Organizing field trip for the students, advisory teacher and community representatives.
- Cooperating, managing and evaluating the outcome of the program.
In the fiscal year 2009, the 8 schools locating in the Bangkok metropolitan area were selected to participate in the program. They are Assumption College Thonburi School, Pracharat practice School education, Wat Sa Ket School, Watratbumrung school, Rattanathibet school, Potinimitwittayakom school and Thanyarat schools comprising of 801 students, 31 advisory teachers, and 3,515 peoples from the students’ families.
After implementation of the students as per the environmental care handbook, the students have made the reduction of electricity and water consumptions and solid waste higher than the targets, 10% minimum, of the program. This can be counted as the total cost of saving electricity, water and reducing solid waste approximately 421,697 Baht per year (consists of reducing 20.42% electricity consumption or 301,557 Baht per year, reducing 10.54% water consumption or 112,834 baht per year, and reducing 24.6% solid waste or 7,304 Baht per year. Meanwhile, the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions from power plant is 1,437.41 kilograms of carbon dioxide per year.
The Envi -Kids Program in the Fiscal Year 2010:
This fiscal year 2010, the 12 schools locating in the Bangkok metropolitan area were selected to participate in the program dividing into 2 groups. The first group, comprising of 4 schools from last year to extend the program to thier communities 10 communities which are Potinimitwittayakom School, Thanyarat School, Watratbamrung School, and Assumption College Thonburi. The second group, comprising of 8 newly selected schools to implement the program within their schools which are Santiratwitthayalai School, Sainampeung School, Matthayombungthonglang School, Chanhunbamphen School, Watladpraw School, Wimuttayarampittayakorn School, Matthayombanbangkapi School and Matthayomnarknawaouphatum School. There are 1,789 students, 45 advisory teachers, 4,662 family members of students participated in the program.
After the end of the program, the students can help reduce the amount of electricity and water consumptions, and reduce solid waste as follows: reducing electricity consumption 435,912 kWh per year or less 19.2%, reduction of water 88,344 units per year or less 20.0%, reduction of solid waste 105,420 bags per year or down 34.1%, and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions 238,008 kg of carbon dioxide per year.
Overview of the Success of the Envi-Kids Program:
The success of Envi-Kid Program as a whole in fiscal year of 2009 and 2010 inducing an integration of teaching and learning skills of students and schools for various subjects such as environmental, mathematic, Thai writing skills, analytical thinking, discipline and honesty as well as the applications of PDCA cycle in daily life. More ever, there is encouraging good relationships between the students’ family members, schools’ managements, advisory teachers and their communities, especially the students’ parents who supported the practices of the students both planning and co-implementing with their kids. All of this practices in this program has led to the economical use of resources of nations, and help cultivate awareness on environmental conservation for young people to expand wider.